A Software test engineer (software tester) should be capable of designing test suites and should have the ability to understand usability problems. Such a tester is expected to have sound knowledge of software test design and test execution methodologies. It’s very important for a software tester to have great communication skills so that he can interact with the development team efficiently. The roles and responsibilities for a usability software tester are as follows:
Tester is responsible for conducting the testing, analyze the results and then submit the observations to the development team, have to interact with the clients to better understand the product requirements or in case the design requires any kind of modifications. A Software Tester is responsible to create test-product documentation and to participate in testing related walk through, for designing testing scenarios for usability testing.
A software tester has different sets of roles and responsibilities. Testers should review and contribute to test plans, as well as analyzing, reviewing and assessing requirements and design specifications in the test planning and preparation phases of the testing. Tester should have a good understanding about the system which means technical as well as functional product aspects , should have in depth knowledge about software testing, should know what are various phases of software testing and how testing should be carried out in each phase. It is important that the software tester is aware of various testing techniques and which approach is best for a particular system in order to create test cases. The responsibilities of the software tester include:
- Ensure that all tested related work is carried out as per the defined standards and procedures.
- Participate in walkthroughs of testing procedures.
- Prepare all reports related to software testing carried out.
- Set up the test environments or assist system administration and network management staff in doing so.
- Testers execute and log the tests, evaluate the results and document problems found.
- Monitor the testing and the test environment, often using tools for this task, and often gather performance metrics.
- Creation of test designs, test processes, test cases and test data.
- Carry out testing as per the defined procedures.
- Review each other’s work, including test specifications, defect reports and test results.